Monday, September 14, 2009

Diamonds in the ruff: Dead pets become jewels

Miss your pet? Now you can keep Rover forever as a shiny accessory

They say a diamond is forever — and now your pet can be too. A company called DNA2Diamonds is offering to create sparkling gems from a deceased pet's ashes or a lock of its hair. In just 70 days, they can turn what's left of your beloved furball into a red, yellow-green or cognac diamond (you can choose the shape and carat size) and set the stone in a ring, bracelet, earring or pendant.

Here's how it works: First, you submit a DNA sample to the company. Carbon is then extracted from the sample and added to a real diamond seed to be placed in an incubator to "grow." The incubator duplicates the earth's natural diamond-creation process at rapid speed, making a genuine "in the rough" stone that's chemically a diamond but contains your pet's signature DNA. Next, the stone is cut and inspected by the Gemological Institute of America before it is packaged and sent to you.

This ice doesn't come cheap, costing anywhere from $2,000 to $18,000 depending on the cut, size and color of stone you choose. Though diamonds can also be made from human DNA, that's not where the largest percentage of DNA2Diamonds's business lies. "These diamonds last forever," company president Bischoff tells PEOPLE Pets. "And we're finding that even in a recession, creating a diamond in memory of a beloved pet continues to be our most popular option."

{Like most pet owners I have been saddened when a beloved dog or cat goes to pet heaven - somewhere north of Cleveland I am told} but strangely enough I have never even thought of having them turned into a diamond for $18,000 grand or so. I must be a lousy pet owner.

Maybe I could do it for my husband but I would need to have a lot of money to afford that. I wonder if he would have to be dead first? I admit there are days when I feel like rushing that inevitability a little. Would a head in a box be considered a DNA sample? Now wouldn't that make a good size diamond? Beat anything Liz Taylor has....I bet!

Gene Roddenberry the creator of "Star trek" was shot up into space by his wife....well his ashes were and Hunter S Thompson's ashes were packed into fireworks and shot into the sky to explode into wondrous colors. I read about a guy who really did want to take it with him so he arranged to be buried in his Cadillac. All that shows considerable imagination or a lack of functioning brain cells.....one or the other.

I think when I go I would like to be put onto an iceberg to drift out to sea and sink ships. It's probably the only way I will ever get that cruise my hubby promised me. What about you?

Courtesy of www.2Pratts.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment